Upper Yadkin Valley Habitat's Application Process
1.Call our office at 336-526-2277 to learn more about the homeowner program.
Habitat staff will go over your qualifications for Habitat homeownership.
2. Complete an application. After submission, staff will pull civil/criminal records and obtain your credit report, and verify qualification for our program. This step takes about one month.
3. Home interview and committee review. If your documentation is approved, Habitat representatives will visit your home to meet your family, discuss the Habitat homeownership program and tour your current residence. The Family Selection committee will then review your total application packet, including results of the home interview. This step takes about one month.
4. Board of Directorsí approval. If the Family Selection committee approves your application, it will be presented to Upper Yadkin Valley Habitatís Board of Directors for final approval. This step takes about 1 month.
5. Now that applicants have demonstrated their housing need and ability to pay, approved families then move on to demonstrate willingness to partner with Habitat. Partner families complete 300 hours or more of volunteering on their own home or the home of a fellow Habitat homeowner, attending financial education and homeownership classes, assisting in Habitat fundraisers and other activities related to Habitat's mission. Construction times vary on each home, but -- if the family has completed their volunteer hours and accumulated the closing costs -- closing and move in is generally within a year to 18 months of a family’s approval.
6. When the house nears completion, partner families’ financial situations are again reviewed prior to completing the final mortgage application. This step may take one to two months.
7. If the mortgage loan is approved and the house is done, we’ll celebrate with a dedication for the sponsors, volunteers, and the family. The house is then sold to the partner family who become our newest Habitat homeowners.