Organ donation saves lives and honors the deceased. The Conservative Movement’s Committee on Jewish Laws and Standards has stated that organ donations after death represent not only an act of kindness, but are also a “commanded obligation” which saves human lives.
Why do people choose to donate their organs?
By donating your organs and tissue after you die, you can save or improve as many as 75 lives. Many families say that knowing their loved one helped save or improve other lives helped them cope with their loss. It’s especially important to consider becoming an organ donor if you belong to an ethnic minority.
What are 5 benefits of organ donation?
5 benefits of organ donations
- Helps the grieving process. At a time that can be very difficult to get through, many donor families take consolation in knowing their loved one helped save other lives. …
- Improves others’ quality of life. …
- It’s free to become a donor. …
- Live to see who you’ve affected. …
- Make a difference.
Why you shouldn’t donate your body to science?
The biggest drawback of donating your body is that your family cannot have a service with the body present. You can have a memorial service without a viewing. In some cases, the funeral home will allow for immediate family to have a closed viewing, much like an identification viewing.
What disqualifies you from being an organ donor?
Just about anyone, at any age, can become an organ donor. … Certain conditions, such as having HIV, actively spreading cancer, or severe infection would exclude organ donation. Having a serious condition like cancer, HIV, diabetes, kidney disease, or heart disease can prevent you from donating as a living donor.
Does kidney donation shorten your life?
Does living donation affect life expectancy? Living donation does not change life expectancy, and does not appear to increase the risk of kidney failure.
What are the pros and cons of organ donation?
Pros and Cons of Organ Donation
- You can save a life, possibly multiple lives. You may even save the life of someone you love.
- Your family can find comfort in knowing your organs saved others. …
- Organ donors and recipients do not have to be an exact match. …
- Medical research donation can save even more lives.
Do organ donors feel pain?
Deceased donors do not feel any pain during organ recovery. Most major religious groups support organ and tissue donations.
What does the Bible say about organ donation?
As Saint John tells us, “For God so loved the world, that he gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in Him, should not perish but have everlasting life.” (John 3:16) By knowingly choosing the donations of one’s bodily organs, one is acting as Christ would act—giving life to humanity.